Hartland Trail Network (Mount Work Regional Park)
👆Maps provided by Trailforks. Take them on the go with their mobile app.
Featuring 85 trails, with over 46km of riding and 2,000+ metres of total descent, Hartland (aka ‘The Dump’) puts easy beginner and double-black terrain within easy reach of downtown Victoria.
Whether you are looking for a quick after-work ride or a three-hour adventure, you can find it at Hartland. The technical singletrack trails that wind between Douglas fir, cedar, and arbutus trees on the slopes of Mt. Work provide classic West Coast mountain biking-- and if you don’t mind getting wet, you can send it year-round!
Trails are rated in accordance with the IMBA Trail Ratings system:
- Green: Easy (mainly doubletrack, suitable for beginners)
- Blue: More Difficult (intermediate level single track)
- Black: Very Difficult (advanced trails for experienced riders)
- Double-black: Extremely Difficult (advanced trails with technical features for advanced riders)
- Double-orange: Proline: (extremely difficult trail for expert riders only. There is only one proline trail at Hartland)
Where Else To Ride?
SIMBS currently only manages the Hartland trail network, but it doesn’t mean that it’s the only place to ride! Some of the other areas favoured by Victoria and South Island mountain bikers include:
- Sooke Harbourview [SBC] [Trailforks]
- Mount Tzouhalem [CTSS] [Trailforks]
- Bear Mountain [Trailforks]
- Burnt Bridge [Trailforks]
- Cobble Hill [Trailforks]
- Maple Mountain [CTSS] [Trailforks]
Trailforks is an incredible resource for finding great trails on the South Island, viewing the current status of trails within the network, and finding awesome routes to link up the best riding that Victoria (and beyond!) has to offer.
Trail Maintenance Days
For the last 20 years, the Hartland trail network has been 100% maintained by passionate SIMBS members and volunteers.
- Trail maintenance is usually held on the third Sunday of every month, from 8:45 a.m. to 12:30 p.m.
- Meet at the SIMBS tent in the Hartland parking lot.
- No prior experience is required (or a SIMBS membership) — just an enthusiastic attitude and a willingness to help!
- We provide mentoring, work gloves, tools and lunch.
- Support your local builders, respect the build process and keep building the stoke...
Email us at firstname.lastname@example.org to sign up for Trail Maintenance Day notifications. When the day is announced, RSVP to secure a spot and your free lunch! Space is limited due to COVID restrictions.
Have any questions about trail maintenance or improvements? Contact the SIMBS Trail Director by email at email@example.com
See our COVID safety plan here.